Sunday, August 31, 2008

Our weekend out in the country

It was a wonderful weekend. Kim and I decided we needed a break from Phnom Pehn and there is no where more relaxing in all of Cambodia than the orphanage I taught at last fall. So we took a tuktuk (with a short stop at the airport for a DQ blizzard) out to Place of Rescue...a 45 minute ride out into the country. Rice fields, sugar palm trees, cows and country folk. It was a beautiful day..not a cloud in the sky. The dirt road from Baek Chan (a village outside of Phnom Penh) to the orphanage is one pothole after another....I think Racachu thought his tuktuk was gonna fall apart.
We helped Grandma ice cakes for the birthday party and then she took us down to the baby house. Two brand new babies....one was only 15 days old. They were precious. Their moms were young girls who came to Rescue pregnant and alone. They lived at the orphanage until the babies were born then left them there....wonderful futures are in store for these two little ones.
And I am so excited because within the next couple of years adoptions out of Cambodia to Canada will again be possible!!!! The thought of coming back here one day to bring a little baby home to love and give a future to gives me such joy and excitement!
Me and Kim have also been throwing around the idea of getting our names in Khmer tattooed on our feet when we get home...although I'll need a bit more convincing I think:)
The birthday party was a blast as usual. The kids were thrilled to have Kim and I there.
We slept over up at Grandma's house...no fans..no AC...no sleep. We woke up at 5 and got ready for church...had a nice morning chat with Grandma out on the veranda.
We went to New Life church this morning. Some of the kids from the orphange came too...their reward for memorizing verses. Its a Khmer church with an American pastor and an OUT OF THIS WORLD worship team that does Hillsong in Khmer. Its amazing. I just stood there..tears rolling down my cheeks as I watched the Cambodians singing...crying out to God....praying for their friends....overwhelmed by His love for them and their country. It was so encouraging and challenging. The poverty and seemingly hopeless situations that daily face Cambodia pale in comparison to what I know God is doing and has the power to do here. God is here....big time.