Friday, September 12, 2008

we love science!

Math and reading...boring. Boring to teach and i can't imagine that much fun to learn either. But science..now that's grabs their attention. My students can't get enough of learning about everything from hurricanes and tornadoes, how a tadpole becomes a frog, the solar system and sharks...just some of the topics we discussed this week. OFFICIALLY we are learning about plants in Science. Today we drew pictures of the 5 stages in a plant's life...their interpretations of what a plant looks like when it dies is priceless and a clear indicators that they watch WAY too much tv..haha.
Every morning we have half an hour of circle time...we all sit around in a circle and talk. They love to tell me about their weekends of excitement goin to Lucky Burger for supper or playing with friends or siblings but what they like the most is when I read to them. Forget about little kids story books...they are SO too old for that. They want books with facts and information with big words that they can go home to their parents and ramble on about stuff they probably won't understand. Today for instant...I've never answered so many questions about blizzards in my LIFE! Snow and Canada is so enchanting to them...our favorite thing to do is look at the globe and the different countries. And the question of that day.."If God made everything in the world..then He must of made tornadoes but why? They destroy stuff and hurt people." Uh.......uh.......good question!
Dara...my other favorite besides Souvith...puts his hand up with the answer for ANY question I ask...regardless of whether he actually knows the answer. When I do call on him....he puts his finger to his lips and goes "uummmmmmm" and then shoots up his finger into the air and blurts out a completely random(usual wrong) but absolutely adorable answer with his cute little lisp. Hands down..its the cutest thing in the entire world. When he gets really excited or upset his lisp gets worse....to the point where i can't understand what he says and spit is flying everywhere. He is best friends with Bonn..the kid with the rat tail and big lips. They make a funny pair.
SeeChan my amazing assistant in my class was gone all week to Singapore...a friend of hers from there paid for her to come visit! How exciting for her! Her first time on an airplane...she was so nervous. I assured her that everything would be fine. But I have missed her! I can't wait to hear her stories!

No comments: